On December 2, 2013, in version 2013 R3, support for Android and iOS through Xamarin materialized in almost all of our components.
Rebex components now support Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android, making it possible to target iPad/iPhone and Android devices! (The only exception is the Terminal Emulation component whose TerminalControl object relies heavily on Windows Forms and is only available for Windows and Linux at the moment.)
And what’s best – it’s free for everyone who purchased a Rebex component less than year ago. Having an up-to-date support contract pays off :-)
How will this affect you?
- If you purchased an affected component after December 2, 2012
(one year ago):
You get a FREE UPGRADE to the new product. Just log into www.rebex.net/protected and download the new installation packages.
- If you purchased an affected component beforeDecember 2, 2012:
Renew you support contract to get binaries for new platforms. Support contract renewal price is just 1/3 of the full license price. To get a renewal link, log into www.rebex.net/protected or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The cheapest editions are no longer available, raising the price a bit. But on the other hand, you’ll get more for the same price. For the price of .NET + .NET Compact Framework version, you’ll now get a .NET, .NET Compact Framework, Mono, Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android support as well. (Example: In the past, Rebex SFTP binaries were $349 (.NET only) or $449 (.NET + .NET CF). Now, only one multi-platform edition is available for $449.)
- Prices for source code licenses remain unchanged.
- Prices for Rebex Total Pack remain unchanged. It was always in ‘you’ll get every platform and product we have’ mode.
- There is a transition period for customers who planned to purchase in December and might be affected by the changes. Until December 31, 2013, you can purchase the multiplatform version for the same price as its lighter .NET-only predecessor. Just contact us at email@example.com and we will send you a discounted purchase link
Why are we making this change?
- To make it easy to develop for multiple platforms. Nowadays, more tablets and smartphones are being shipped than traditional PCs. You can now reach that audience with Rebex toolbox.
- The percentage of users asking for multiplatform compatibility has been steadily increasing for a long time.
- Adding a different edition for every new platform would be licensing nightmare for most customers.
- Less purchase options makes it simpler for everyone.